Oh, Texas… You and your Sonic Drive-In on every other street corner. Not going to lie... I miss you.
The tiny town in which I was raised didn’t have much, but what it did have was a Sonic. My staple “happy hour” order was always a barrel-sized cup full of Diet Cherry Limeade. Diet Sprite with cherries and limes with their signature crushed ice.
I don’t do carbonated drinks anymore, but I’ll always be a bit nostalgic toward my staple Sonic drink. I’ve translated my Diet Cherry Limeade drink into cookie form so that you’re able to have a taste of this divinity whether or not there’s a Sonic on your street corner.
¾ cup fresh cherries, cut into ¼” dice
juice of 1 lime
¼ teaspoon lime zest
2 cups all purpose flour
8 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon instant lemonade mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir cherries, lime juice and two tablespoons together and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, rub lime zest into sugar until moist.
- Add flour, lemonade mix, baking powder, salt and whisk to combine. Mix butter into the flour mixture and combine until you have course crumbs.
- Add cream and stir until dough begins to come together. Gently stir in cherry mixture.
- Use a tablespoon to portion the dough onto prepared baking sheet, spacing 1 1/2 -2” apart.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until edges become golden brown. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!