Remember the time long, long ago when I made the most delicious brownies in the world? So good, I ate them for dinner? Yes, the black bean brownies that tasted better than any brownie I'd ever had and didn't even have a hint of bean taste despite being the main ingredient. Well now brown cow, what I have before your very eyes is tearfully-delicious, slap-your-momma, make-you-wanna-inhale-every-morsel chocolate cake. And the star ingredient again? Those little black beans.
Try this. I dare you.
Black Bean Chocolate Cake
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used a 15 oz. can)
5 large eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbs coconut oil (butter would also be okay)
3/4 cup sugar (Demura or Sugar in the Raw will work)
6 tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbs water
- Preheat the oven to 350º and grease a 9″ cake pan.
- Mix together the cocoa, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the coconut oil (or you could use butter) until it’s soft and fluffy. Add 2 of the eggs and beat well after each one.
- Put the beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, sugar and salt into a blender or food processor and blend/process until the mixture is smooth. Add this mixture to the coconut oil/egg concoction and mix to combine until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Stir in the remaining dry ingredients. Add the water and beat on high until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 30-35 mins. The top of the cake should be rounded and firm in the center.
- Allow to cool. Cut and serve with your favorite ice cream!