Any peanut butter fan will definitely be a fan of these bars. They’re a crumbly-peanut-buttery bar with a hint of sweet jelly. I think they’re best served cool from the refrigerator but are also perfect to bring along to any outdoor barbeque or picnic.
To me, there’s no better compliment to PB&J than a banana. I added some (Trader Joe’s) banana chips which added a little extra crunch and flavor that was much appreciated.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
Adapted from Bon Apetite
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grape jelly or other jelly or jam (original recipe called for 3/4 c)
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped salted dry-roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup banana chips, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with heavy-duty foil, leaving 2-inch overhang around edges and pressing firmly into corners and up sides of pan. Coat foil with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in small bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat peanut butter, sugar, and butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat on low-speed until smooth.
- Add flour mixture; beat on low-speed just to blend.
- Transfer half of dough to prepared pan (about scant 1 1/2 cups). Place remaining dough in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Using fingertips, press dough evenly onto bottom of pan. Spread jelly over in even layer. On top of the jelly, sprinkle chopped banana chips.
- Remove dough from freezer; using fingertips, break into grape-size pieces and scatter over jelly layer.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over the top.
- Bake bars until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool bars completely in pan on rack.
- Using foil overhang as aid, lift bars from pan. Gently peel foil from edges. Cut into 16 squares.
These can be made 3 days ahead, just store them in an airtight at room temperature.