Because of you, I had such a nice weekend. A lazy Saturday spent at the park picnicing and napping, a Sunday at another park playing a ferocious game of co-ed soft ball, and even a brisk evening jog to top it all off.
12 oz. butter, room temperature
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, room temperature (I used 1/4 cup heavy cream and 3/4 almond milk)
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325. Generously butter and flour pans. Tap pans to remove excess flour.
- Sift dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) together. In a measuring cup, combine milk and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, cream butter until fluffy. Gradually add sugar. Beat until smooth (3-4 minutes).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating in between each addition.
- Reduce speed to low and alternate adding flour and milk mixtures, ending with flour. When there are only a few streaks of flour remaining in the batter, mix the rest by hand.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans. Firmly tap the pans (on counter) to remove air bubbles.
- Bake until light golden brown (about 60 minutes.) Cool in pan for half an hour, invert on rack to cool completely before frosting.
Fresh Strawberry Buttercream
6 large strawberries, room temperature
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
6-7 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a food processor, add strawberries and cream and pulse until pureed. Add vanilla and continue until well combined and smooth. In the bowl of an stand mixer, whip butter until light and fluffy. Add the strawberry mixture and mix until combined. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until you reach the desired consistency. Frosting should form soft peaks.