¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
¾ cup cake flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoons salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup plus 2 tbsp. milk, at room temperature
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
Zest of 1 large lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ¾ cup all-purpose flour, the cake flour, baking powder and salt; whisk together and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, sugar and lemon zest. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and lemon juice.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated.
- Blend in the milk. Mix in the remaining dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Using a spatula gently fold the berries into the cake batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners, filling each about ¾ full.
- Bake 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the lemon and zest and mix until incorporated.
- Slowly add confectioner's sugar until the desired consistency is reached.
- Top on cooled cupcakes and serve!