I had the most amazing dinner last night that was thrown together in less than 15 minutes. How can that be? This Middle Eastern staple has been thrown a curve ball and made into a super quick and healthy weeknight meal.
This falafel is irresistible with the cumin and curry flavors mixed with the lemony, fresh spinach. I cooked them in a smidge of sesame oil to brown each side and make a crunchy, flavorful crust.
I must say, they turned out pretty and really quite tasty. I’ve honestly found my favorite weeknight meal.
Falafel Spinach Salad
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained and dried
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon parsley
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sesame oil (for cooking)
two cups baby spinach
1 cup sprouts (I used alfalfa sprouts)
juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Add garbanzo beans and blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until well incorporated.
- Heat sesame oil on a skillet over medium-high heat. Form balls using the bean mixture and carefully place on heated skilled.
- Gently press each ball with the palm of your hand to flatten a bit.
- Let cook on each side until brown.
- To prepare salad, add spinach and sprouts in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate small dish, combine sesame oil, lemon and salt and pepper.
- Once mixed, add to spinach and sprouts and toss together until thoroughly mixed.
- Serve hot falafel over spinach salad.