Perhaps you'll bake these for someone you like. Maybe a super-early Valentine's Day party? Or maybe just make them for your own belly. Bake yourself some love.
I Heart Cookies11/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Red food coloring
- Mix together flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda; Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugars for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the yolk and vanilla extract, and beat until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and gently stir until just mixed. Don't over-mix.
- Separate dough into two portions; In one bowl place about 3/4 of the dough and store in the refrigerator.
- With the remaining 1/4 amount of dough, add the food coloring and mix thoroughly. Let both bowls of dough sit in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; Set aside.
- Roll plain dough into balls and place onto prepared baking sheet. Gently press down each dough ball with the palm of your hand to flatten a bit.
- Roll out colored dough on a surface dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Carefully cut out dough hearts with a sharp knife and place on flattened cookies. Press together using the palm of your hand. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake about 10-14 minutes and allow to cool on a baking rack.