You'll have to pardon my lack of eloquence when I say... you will want to dunk your face in this cookie dough. I'm not even stretching truth. I'm here to offer another addition to the Holiday Table and I'm being honest when I tell you that it took every ounce of my being to keep my head away from the mixing bowl. And guess what? Out-of-this-world-cookie-dough transforms into (surprise!) out-of-this-world-cookies!
Not only are they tasty, they look pretty delightful, too.
adapted from Martha Stewart
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons fine baking sugar
1 extra large egg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa
1 egg white
- Beat butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy, about four minutes. Add egg and salt, beat until thoroughly combined, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Add vanilla and milk, beat to combine. On low speed, add flour a little at a time, mixing to thoroughly combine.
- Divide the dough in half. Add cocoa powder to one half, mix well to combine.
- Wrap each portion separately in plastic wrap. As you wrap the dough, spread it into a rectangular shape. Refrigerate for 1 hour (up to 1 day).
- On floured parchment, roll each piece of dough to roughly the same size. Spread egg white over the top of your bottom layer and place the other layer on top (wrapping it around a rolling pin helps aid the transfer). Trim so the sides are even and brush this layer with egg white. Using the parchment to aid you, roll the dough up on the short side. Gently press the edges to seal.
- Roll the log in parchment and twist the ends closed. To help keep the log round, place it inside a cardboard paper towel tube that has been sliced lengthwise. Refrigerate 1 1/2 hours (up to 1 day).
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Remove dough from fridge and rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Tie 12 inches of dental floss around the log to mark off 1/4 inch of dough. Pull the floss in opposite directions to slice through the dough; repeat with remaining dough. Place spirals on baking sheets and bake 6 minutes. Turn pan and bake another 6 minutes, until the cookies are firm.
- Cool completely.