This girl right here wants cookies all the time. I’m talking…everyday. My thighs aren’t sold on the idea, but in a perfect world, I’d have three meals a day followed by a cookie-centered-dessert.
But since we live in a world with real-life problems such as my favorite orange skinny jeans no longer buttoning properly, I only stuff my face with cookies when I really need to. Like when I’m stressing out about a job. And with my research into this matter, I’ve determined that cookies are always, always 100% satisfying. Ahh, just what my psychiatrist ordered. Grab a friend and gorge on cookies until your stress is numbed (which is very similar to this situation.)
These little lovelies are both gluten and dairy-free and are made with a mixture of brown rice, amaranth and tapioca flours. It creates the perfect chewiness with a lightly crispy edge. And contrast of the salty and sweet? Cookie Mecca.
fleur de sel chocolate chip cookies
- 8 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery sticks, room temperature
1 egg, room
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel, plus additional for topping
- 16 ounces (Enjoy Life brand) chocolate chips
- Combine the Earth Balance and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer until thoroughly creamed. Add vanilla and the room temperature egg and mix until well-combined.
- Separately, whisk together the flours, salt and baking soda. Once incorporated, add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix until the dough forms. Finally, add the chocolate chips and stir.
- Roll the dough into a log that is approximately 3 inches in diameter and 12 inches long and wrap the log with the wax paper and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350F. Cut the log into 1/2-inch disks and place them on parchement-lined baking sheets with 2 inches in between each cookie. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of fleur de del and bake for 12-13 minutes or until edges set and start to turn light golden. Allow cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before letting them cool completely on a cooling rack.