Lay those tastebuds on this, pals.
Italian. cream. cake. in cupcake form. Anything with 'cream' in the title gets an automatic OHELLYES vote from me, but add in pecans, coconut and light, fluffy cake and I'll gladly knock over a few elderly women and young children to get my hands and face in it.
I made this same recipe in cake form this past Christmas Eve to go along with a big ole' Italian meal and it was equally delicious. There's just something about a cupcake, though. Because, unfortunately for my hips...mini-things are just cuter.
The cakes are topped with the traditional cream cheese frosting and toasted coconut flakes. Although, I wouldn't turn down some pecans on top of the icing either, if you felt so inclined.
Are your tastebuds doing The Dougie right now? Eeee-yup. Mine are, too.
Italian Cream Cupcakes
For cake2 cups of sifted all-purpose flour
2 cups of sugar
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1 cup of finely chopped walnuts
5 egg whites (beat until stiff peaks)
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 cup of buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of baking soda
For frosting8 oz of cream cheese
1/2 stick of butter for humid climates
1 teaspoon of buttermilk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
8 oz of confectioners sugar
toasted coconut flakes, to decorate
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners; Set aside.
- In the goal of a stand mixer, cream butter with sugar and add vanilla. Then add 5 separated egg yolks and 1/2 cup of olive oil. Beat until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients (flour and soda.) Add the dry ingredients to the mixture a little at a time alternating with the buttermilk (about 1/2 cup at a time). Fold in walnuts and coconut.
- In separate bowl, beat the egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
- With a spatula gently fold in your egg whites into the batter by making the figure 8 pattern.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake until light brown and for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- To prepare the frosting, cream together cream cheese and butter. Then add buttermilk and vanilla extract, and finally the powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate the cake before serving.