And best of all? He made me an aunt. Twice.
Kyle's favorite desserts include chocolate chip cookies and chocolate pie. He obviously has great taste-buds. So today, in honor of his turning one year older, I made him chocolate pie. Mmmm. Pie filled with butter and sugar and chocolate, and other favorite-jean-tightening things. None of which my brother cares about, I'm sure.
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (ground fine from 12 large graham crackers)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg yolks
3 cups whole milk
1 cup chopped dark chocolate
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
whipped cream, to garnish (optional, but...duh)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare pie dish(es) with a light coating butter; Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the graham crumbs and melted butter; press into the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until pale golden around the edges.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Set over medium-high heat and whisk in the egg yolks, then the milk. Cook until the mixture thickens and boils.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips and vanilla. Let sit a minute or two, then stir until smooth.
- Pour into the pie shell and chill completely before serving topped with a dollop of whipped cream.
*yields 9" pie