I like waffles quite a lot. I actually love waffles. And today is the perfect opportunity to expound my waffle love by sharing my current favorite waffle recipe that is drop-dead-delicious.
There's just something about a stack (preferably giant-sized) of waffles that triggers an unbeatable waffle-coma. Perhaps that's just me... and maybe that's just a sign of how much effort I put into my beloved, yet super-easy-to-make-waffles. But if you were to be pro-waffle-coma, like myself, there's no better waffle to post-nosh nap than with these healthy lil' guys.
These waffles are dairy-free, egg-free & gluten-free, which just makes my tummy sing. The waffle-holic in me wants to make a weekly weekday-morning tradition of waffles, even though my mind can only wrap around waffles as a weekend thing. Sometimes you just need to make Thursday special. I'll just need to okay my waffle-coma with my boss first.
gluten-free, vegan3/4 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons water
3/4 cup gluten-free multi-purpose flour blend (I like King Arthur's)
1/4 cup sweet white rice flour
2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
3 tablespoons xylitol (or regular granulated should be fine)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
fresh blueberries, strawberries, bananas or other fruit, for garnish
- Mix together almond milk, coconut oil, ground flaxseed, and water in a small mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the two flours, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just blended.
- Lightly grease waffle iron with some coconut oil.
- Spoon batter into pan and cook on medium-high heat approximately 4 minutes until steam no longer escapes.
- Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup.